background

February 7, 2009

Best Gingerbread Cookies Ever!

If you like gingerbread cookies, try this recipe:

3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 Tblsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup molasses

2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsps. ground ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt

Cream margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water, molasses, and vanilla.

Sift dry ingredients together, then stir into the molasses mixture.

Place teaspoons of dough 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet (I used parchment paper). Flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass dusted in sugar; sprinkle with additional sugar if desired. Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container.

My modifications - I never sift stuff together first, and they turned out fine of course. I substituted half whole wheat flour, and the cookies are so dense and flavorful you couldn't even tell. Next time I may try 100% whole wheat and see how that goes.

Other suggested modifications - try brown sugar instead of white; substitute orange juice for the water and omit the vanilla (I was going to try this, but my O.J. had fermented - and then I realized that I'd made it for the YW slumber party A MONTH AGO!)

I love gingerbread, and these are seriously the best I've ever had. They're so soft, and really flavorful with all the spices, yet sweet enough that you don't miss them being iced. Plus, I usually don't make gingerbread cookies because most recipes I've seen need to be rolled and cut out. This was an easy as any drop cookie. The dough is really sticky, though - I almost overheated my mixer and had to stir in the last of the flour by hand. (I don't have a particularly industrial mixer, though - I think a stand mixer would have done OK.)

No comments: