background

July 1, 2009

Say WHAT?

We had our annual lake activity tonight, and as I'm pulling into the boat ramp parking lot the Bishop is backing his boat down into the water. He sees me, raises a hand in the air, and calls out:

"Hey, Sister Brame, I got a keg!"

Now, I'm confused. I go to college; I know what a keg is. But this is the Bishop, so obviously that can't be what he said. So I call back:

"What?" (I'm very creative in my conversations, you know!)

"A keg! It was left over from work, so I asked if I could buy it for half price."

Now, you should know that our Bishop is also a judge, so not only does him bringing a keg to a youth activity make no sense whatsoever, but neither does the idea of a bunch of judges having kegs at work. So I'm puzzling - I know I'm missing something, but for the life of me I couldn't figure what else a "keg" could be. Then he adds:

"Can't have a party without a keg, right?"

As you may have already surmised, but I did not until I looked in his back seat - he brought a cake from work.

Just to add to the humor, their work party was for the Community Sentencing Committee, an experimental unit that is trying to implement non-incarceration punishment for non-violent offenders so they can maintain family ties and keep their jobs, and as a criminal court judge the Bishop is involved. The cake is covered with frosting balloons and confetti, and across it in big letters it says "Community Sentencing ~ Celebrate!!!" The youth were quite confused, but still managed to put away more than half of a full sheetcake - and had a blast having to eat this overfrosted cake with their hands since the rest of the menu was chips and hotdogs so I hadn't brought forks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of 'keg'? Chocolate? Sounds like a fun activity to me. gram

Mom said...

But, were you disappointed? Sometimes I think a keg would make youth activities go better for the adults - none for the kids.