background

August 27, 2009

So my excuse this time....

We've been back in school for almost 2 weeks, so I'm definitely behind on blogging. My excuse is that I finally had to give in and buy a new computer. I was determined that I could make due with the old one till I graduated, but then it started refusing to have 2 windows open at once - it either froze or it told me I was out of memory and closed one of the windows. Since I frequently have to open email attachments, this was proving to be a huge problem! And since I had dial-up, and my incredibly slow computer took around 10 minutes to get fully connected to the internet, it was beyond frustrating to have to reconnect.

So now I have a functional and much, much faster computer. The old one was 4 years old, and wasn't a particularly good one to start with, so I refuse to feel bad! Plus, I now have a 23-inch widescreen monitor that makes me happy just to look at (even when it's off) - and I've made the jump into the 21st Century with a wireless modem. I wasn't wanting to pay so much for internet service, but I decided I could live without a landline this way so the cost almost evens out.

Yes, that means my cellphone is it - but I rarely answered the landline anyway. (Some people may be thinking I rarely answer my cell phone either, and they'd be quite correct. Which means it was doubly ridiculous for me to pay two phone bills, right?!)

Anyway, school feels like it's already in the flow. My Intro class is pretty fun - 45 kids, and a nice mix of students willing to answer questions and engage in discussion. We're finally past the late add deadline, which makes me very happy. All my late adds were very responsible this time, though, looking me up during office hours to get caught up to speed. I absolutely love my law and legal institutions class - just 25 students, so it's a great size. They're very interactive in class, and so far seem to be enjoying it. I'm remembering stories from my legal career that I'd forgotten about, and it's kind of fun to break them out. If it's this fun while we're still stuck on the basics, I can't wait till we get to the really fun legal stuff!

I just have dissertation hours again. My chair stopped in my office yesterday and said she just wanted to remember what I look like since it's been so long since I requested a meeting. Oops. I'm not one for meeting just for the sake of meeting. It kind of reminds me of when I was working on my thesis - I finished up and submitted my proposal over several weeks without meeting with my chair because I didn't have any questions, but the whole while he thought I was just hanging out doing nothing! Then the first draft I turned in was pretty much what we went with. I guess I'm too independent, and I need to do a better job of sending off those "just checking in" emails informing my committee of what I've been up to. It seems like a waste of all of our time. It should be better now that I'm back on the main campus, though - we can do that whole checking in thing in passing in the halls. (Don't worry, Mom - I am working on it!)

And that's about that. The Young Women are all fine. The cats are fine. The weather is good. My fantasy football team is passable. Life would be just about perfect, except basketball is still over a month away. But when that's all I have to complain about I know it's time to count my blessings!

No comments: