background

June 27, 2010

So it's not the 7-year-olds after all....

I get the class of crazy and completely out of control 4-year-olds instead. Why is this? Well, not that it really matters - but apparently I look like someone capable of maintaining discipline? The teacher who had the CTR 7s is moving to the 12-year-olds, while the teacher who had the 4-year-olds is taking the 7s. Because this way the teacher who isn't super reliable has a class less needful of her being there (and they only need an emergency sub for 2nd hour since they all go to YM/YW), and the teacher who is sweet and eager but too nice to be "mean" to rotten little boys who act like 2-year-olds can bless the lives of the sweet and eager 7-year-olds who love to participate in class. And my role in all of this is to whip the CTR 4s into shape! :) Apparently, if I can get them to sit in chairs and not totally disrupt opening exercises/sharing time, I will have far exceeded the primary presidency's goals. I guess no one told them that I am the least organized, least disciplined person ever.

But I'm kind of looking forward to it, in a way. Expectations seem to be VERY low for this group, and it is a small class. And they're young enough that they aren't totally expected to sit still and lesson the entire class period. Today (I just went in to meet them and help), the "lesson" was around 4 minutes long, then continued informally while we colored. We'll try to work that up gradually, and meanwhile I'll look for some activities to carry with me as backup.

So, I may change my mind about this, but I'm hoping I'm up for the challenge. I figure it's win-win - either I'll end up with a class of kids I adore, or I'll spend the other 6 days of the week being so thrilled that my "babies" are of the feline variety.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hey, we have the same Primary classes! Only there are 11 4-year-olds in mine. Here's what worked discipline-wise for my kids: I drew pictures of the rules on pieces of construction paper (a hand to remind them to raise their hands before talking, a chair to remind them to sit with their bottoms in their chair, and a stick figure person with his hands on himself, reminding them to refrain from touching other kids). I bring those pictures out every Sunday, have the kids tell me what they mean, and then hang them on the chalkboard.

Then I made red, green, and yellow circles out of construction paper, and we call them traffic lights. If the kids are being reverent, I have the green light sitting on the chalkboard tray. If they start to get rowdy, I point to the picture of the rule they're breaking (the chair, etc.), and if they don't knock it off, they get a yellow light. I didn't think it would work, since there aren't any treats or rewards that go along with having a green light. But the kids get absolutely mortified when I cover up their green light with a yellow light, and they do their best to be reverent so they can make the yellow go away. We've never gotten to a red light--I'm not quite sure what would happen at that point.

Sibyl Brame said...

Heidi, I wish I'd had your plan when I was teaching 14/15 year olds in SS!