background

August 20, 2012

Thank heavens its in the basement!

I have this semi-crazy laundry set up where, instead of draining directly into a drain or pipe, the used washing machine water runs through several feet of hose that runs into the adjacent utility sink.  The hose is clamped to the edge, and the water just runs out of it into the sink. 
 I've had a bit of an issue before when I washed the cats bedding and the sink clogged with cat hair - but fortunately it's a double sink and the water just ran over the middle part into the other sink.

Tonight I went down to move laundry to the dryer, and the basement floor was soaked.
 
It's cement, with a central drain, so it wasn't a crisis.  Of course, I panicked about something being seriously wrong with the washer first!  Then I remembered the drain plugging before, and thought maybe something had happened there.  I "knew" it couldn't be the sink itself, since it didn't flood last time, but thought maybe the hose had come loose or something.  That all checked out, so I tried running some water in the sink to see if it had developed a leak somewhere.

Leak?  Try the entire pipe had separated, so water was just running out the drain onto the floor!
It looks suspiciously like maybe a cat tried standing on it, don't you think?  I suspect this one...
 


No comments: