background

March 15, 2013

Uhm, you have the wrong number...

Wendy:  Hello?  HELLO?  (thinking, long pause - this is a telemarketer - hang up now...)

Telemarketer:  Hello!  Could I please speak with Dean Gregory?

Wendy:  I'm sorry, but you have the wrong number.

Telemarketer:  Oh, I do apologize for the inconvenience, ma'am.  But as long as I have you on the phone let me ask you (with a great deal of telemarketer enthusiasm!), have you ever considered getting a college degree?

Wendy:  (laughter - not to be rude, but because the question caught me so by surprise)

Telemarketer:  Ma'am, I can assure you that with recent programs and financial aid opportunities, we can help you achieve that dream!

Wendy:  I'm just laughing because, actually, I have a PhD.

Telemarketer:  Oh.  Uhm.  That's nice.  I mean, good for you.  Uhm...

Wendy:  So have a nice day.

Telemarketer:  Yes, you too, ma'am, uhm, doctor...ma'am.

No comments: