It feels like I've been practically living there over the past month! The kittens have made two trips for their vaccinations, with one left to go. They'll also need to be spayed pretty soon, too, probably right after Chanie's wedding.
But today it was Bodie for an emergency trip - poor thing was totally lethargic last night, not eating or drinking anything, and felt like he was running a fever. (I didn't check it, but he felt hot when I held him.) This morning he didn't get up for breakfast and was sleeping in the same spot as when I went to bed last night - and his food from yesterday was still untouched. I even tried enticing him with some canned cat food, but he wasn't interested. (Those of you who have met Bodie will recognize how unlike him this not eating thing is.) I was suppose to be going on a ward temple trip this morning, but decided Bodie needed to go in instead. Our vet is only open until 1:00 on Saturdays - I didn't want to wait until Monday since becoming dehydrated is so dangerous for cats, and I didn't want to drive all the way to the emergency vet clinic in East Tulsa which costs a lot more. Bodie was feeling so poorly that he didn't even put up a fight about going in the cat carrier and hardly complained on the drive. (He did work up enough energy to growl and hiss at the vet tech, though, and she gave him the funniest little chastisement about his foul kitty language, but all in this sing-songy little voice that I think was meant to be soothing.)
So anyway, he is running a very high fever (over 105, with 101 normal in cats), but Dr. Jordan didn't find any obvious causes. We're trying a cortisone shot to bring down the fever and antibiotics over the weekend, then if he doesn't perk up by Monday they'll want to do some blood tests and try to narrow down the cause more than "probable infection." Hopefully that won't be necessary! For now, he's sleeping, while I'm busy trying to keep the kittens from bugging him. When he wakes up the vet suggested I give him some tuna water to get something liquid in him, so hopefully he'll at least be excited about that. I guess that means I'm eating tuna casserole for dinner...
So it was a bummer of a morning around here - but there was one nice thing. The vet is offering a new (not sure how new) long acting antibiotic injection. It costs a little bit more than the oral stuff, but not having to dose a cat with liquid antibiotics twice daily is more than worth it!
2 comments:
I hope Bodie responds to the med and will be his usual feisty cat self soon. Enjoy your tuna casserole. I haven't had one of those for many years. If I find one that looks/sounds good in the freezer section I'll give it a try. If I can't nuke it I rarely buy it! I was inspired by your mom and made an excellent meatloaf this week so I can still cook, I just don't choose to for the most part. gram
I think I'd let the cat go before I could force myself to eat Tuna for dinner. Things we do for our loved ones...
Post a Comment