background

September 19, 2009

My own personal "Kids Say the Darndest Things" morning

I ran errands this morning, culminating with some grocery shopping. I only needed a couple of things, but the generally-most-expensive store was having some great sales on stuff I like so I decided to go there. (Grasshopper cookies for $0.99!) This store also doubles coupons up to $1.00, so I like to go periodically with my big coupons and see what kind of deals I can get. (Dawn dish soap for $0.39!) I shop there so infrequently that I pretty much had to go down every aisle looking for what I wanted. I kind of enjoy grocery shopping though, so I didn't mind too much.

And it turned out to be a pretty entertaining morning. First, over the store intercom we hear: "Josh to aisle 4 please, Josh to aisle 4." And this little boy, about 5-years-old, who was in front of me with his mom turns to her with these huge eyes and says: "Mom! They want me in aisle 4!" - then quickly adds: "I didn't do it!"

Then, being Saturday morning, the store had numerous sample ladies out with stuff. They had warm apple pie samples in the bakery section, and there was a little girl who looked around 7 or 8 trying some. She ate her sample looking quite serious, then, still looking completely serious, she looks up at the lady and says: "Your stuff was the best in the whole store - I vote for you." It was really cute. Of course, the other samples were things like sour dough rolls and deli lunch meat, so the apple pie didn't have much competition. (The mom explained to her that they had been at the fair recently and the little girl had been fascinated by the idea that people entered food in competitions and won ribbons, and now the "fair judge" is what she wants to be when she grows up.)

And finally, the store has those car/shopping carts for little kids, where they get to sit in the plastic car and the basket is up on top of that for the adult to push. I'd seen this little girl in several aisles, and she was really into it, making car noises, "steering," encouraging her mom to go faster, etc. So then I see them again in the frozen foods aisle, and it happened to be packed with people at that moment. The mom was actually looking in the freezer, so it's not like the volume of people was the reason they were at a stop, but the little girl was obviously getting frustrated. She was pushing on the middle of the steering wheel, where a horn would have been, and making increasingly louder "beep, beep" noises, which pretty much everyone seemed to be ignoring. So finally, she leans sideways out of the "window" and yells at the top of her lungs: "Get out of the way, people!" Her mother looked mortified, but everyone I saw was just cracking up at it. And I bet that mom's glad she hasn't modeled more profane road rage for her daughter to mimic!

1 comment:

Sibyl Brame said...

Such a deal! Incredible bargains and free entertainment. Can't beat that.