I should probably post a longer blog, but I'm still catching up from being gone and I'm exhausted from getting in late last night. But some of you people are just so impatient!
So, I absolutely loved Sioux City, strange as that may sound. It's built on a couple of hills and there are all these adorable neighborhoods with lots of winding roads. I found it completely charming. The Briar Cliff campus is just gorgeous - it's up on one of the hills, and the views from several places are incredible. Several of the buildings are older and full of character, including one that still has the original elevator with the double doors that you have to slide open yourself. And the on-campus chapel is beautiful! (No matter what you think of Catholicism, they sure build some incredible chapels!) I felt like the interview (interviews, really) went quite well, and I really liked everyone I met, both students and faculty. The main focus is on teaching (I know, that sounds funny for a college - but you'd be amazed at how many places teaching is secondary to research), and the program and classes I would teach are right up my alley. In fact, it was just one of those times of being someplace that it felt like a great fit right off.
So at this point, I'm really hoping they'll offer me a position, and would have no hesitancy in accepting it. The only thing that's not absolutely perfect about it is being located in Iowa rather than closer to home - but better a job I love and a couple visits home a year than either being unemployed or having a job I hate, right?
But not to put the cart before the horse, as they have one other candidate coming in to interview next Monday. They said they plan on deciding quite quickly after that, so hopefully I should know one way or the other by a week from now. It's going to be a long week of keeping my fingers crossed!
1 comment:
My fingers are crossed too! And I love Sioux City, so I'm selfishly hoping you end up there so I can visit you. Besides, Iowa's a little closer to home than Oklahoma, right? So you're moving in the right direction.
Post a Comment