background

May 23, 2011

After the party, comes the hangover

No, not that kind of hangover!

Last week was finals, along with all the frantic scrambling of students suddenly concerned they weren't going to pass/graduate/etc.  We also had baccalaureate on Friday and commencement on Saturday.  I disliked wearing the whole academic regalia thing when I graduated, and it sure doesn't improve when it's for other people!  At least the chairs were comfortable (we hold it in the historic Orpheum Theater, and only the grads have to sit in folding chairs on the stage.  Faculty get prime front row seats after parading in front of all the parents/guests in our pompous finery!), and there were a number of students I was very happy to see receive their empty diploma holders.  :)  The president gave a very long speech, and I understand it's the same one she gives every year.  Well, sometimes she updates the quotes from various musical references - apparently that's the "big excitement" every year.  It's kind of cool, though - Sioux City blocks off the street in front of the theater for us for the post ceremony reception.

There was one unfortunate train-wreck sort of incident, not on-stage but after.  We had a professor pass away this year, and the school invited his wife and children to accept a posthumous award.  Well, as the grads were getting ready to "recess," this rather drunk guy kind of pushes his way to the front because he has to see his brother up close and personal.  (There were plenty of others trying to get pictures, too, but he was the lone drunk and camara-less one.)  He practically knocked this widow down, then he recognized her outfit as having been up on stage, but not why.  So he's going on in this loud voice about who is she, why is she important, etc. etc.  And when she finally manages to get him to understand that she was on-stage to accept a posthumous award for her husband, he says "Wow - so you're important because some dude died, huh?"  She was very gracious, but I felt quite bad for her trapped in this spectacle.  And then the guy was so busy bugging her, he missed his brother recessing anyway.  (I should add - we have graduation at 10 am.  I don't know how early he started to get to that state by then!)

And now there is the "wrap up grading" hangover.  Everything is due at noon tomorrow, and I still have a stack.  My night class only finished up last Thursday, so their exam isn't even due till noon today.  It will get done, because it always does.  And I am once again swearing that I will find a way to stay more caught up on grading next semester - and I never do!  So back to the stack of lousy essays, with hopes that someone managed to be brilliant.  :)

1 comment:

Sibyl Brame said...

It's a shame that some people just have to be idiots no matter the circumstances. As for hoping for brilliance, 'it could happen'!