background

May 29, 2011

How low can you go?

There are some good reasons that social sciences faculty shouldn't sit around shooting the breeze - we come up with crazy ideas.  A colleague was telling me about an article she read the other day about a couple that decided to go a month without spending any money.  I found it intriguing -

So I decided to give it a try myself, with a few caveats.
  • Obviously, all bills still must be paid, as well as tithing, etc.  The "nothing" includes almost all forms of shopping and all eating out.
  • Major caveat one:  I have an extensive house to-do list that needs to get done this summer while I have the flexible time available.  Thus, I may buy trim for the kitchen floor, paint for the house, and anything related to finishing tearing off the backsplash and making necessary repairs.  These things were already planned into my summer.  I may not undertake any additional projects unless I can do so without spending.
  • Major caveat two:  I have some buying responsibilities for Girls Camp and Youth Conference.  Obviously, I will need to do my calling.
  • Major caveat three:  I have to drive to Girls Camp, which is a few of hours away, so I may need to buy gas for that.
  • Major caveat four:  Obviously, any necessary medical attention for myself or the cats will be taken care of, as well as any true emergencies.  No, Diet Coke is not a medical necessity.
So really, more than not spending, I'm going to try a month of no shopping.  Only I decided that I could give myself a budget of $20 for the month to buy milk and minor fresh fruits/veggies.   It didn't make sense to go without fresh stuff that is healthy, especially when it's the right season (almost, anyway).  I'm going to stick a $20 bill in an envelope and leave my credit cards at home, so there will be no cheating.

Really, this shouldn't be that bad.  My house is pretty well stocked with food - I buy way more in groceries than I need to.  It may get interesting at the end of the month when I start running out some favorites, but I certainly will  be in no danger of starving to death.  I made sure that I have enough food for the cats on hand.

So yes, I've stretched the original concept with my $20 for fresh staples and continuing home remodel projects already in the pipeline. I don't think of myself as a "shopper" - but I suspect I will find I do more of it than I realize once I'm not allowed.  I'm hoping I'll get better acquainted with my pantry and what I really use (not "need" but actually eat regularly) - there's way more food there than any single person needs, and calling the impulse boxes of pasta salad mix "food storage" is stretching it!  (It was an awesome sale!  But a person who makes pasta salad maybe twice a year really doesn't need 8 boxes just because they were practically free, right?  Ditto on the instant oatmeal...)  I suspect not eating out will be the big problem.

We'll see how it goes, and how long I have any enthusiasm for this experiment once it starts.  I don't usually care much for things that build character....

I'm going to try to blog about it as a way of keeping myself honest - so if you have no interest whatsoever you may want to avoid me for a while.  No hard feelings, I promise.  :)

2 comments:

Sibyl Brame said...

Sounds like a worthy experiment and I wish you success. I have changed my shopping habit somewhat. I don't go to Winco just because it's Tuesday anymore. Now go about every two weeks. Eat about the same but spend less. Very enlightening. Gotta go today as my fridge is almost bare. Clean but bare. Good luck.

Chanie said...

I've been thinking about trying this experiment, hard to get Scott on board though. We agree that we spend too much money and could be way better but it's way to easy to stop by the store and grab something. Maybe someday when I'm a stay at home mom and have my one day a week where I go into town. Good Luck!!!