Do you remember that episode of Friends where Monica got sad because Chandler didn't like her massages and that meant she wasn't good at something? So he cheers her up by telling her she's the "best" worst massage giver in the whole world, which means she really is good - just at giving bad massages!
Well, I've had a recipe I wanted to try for a while. We were going to try it when Heidi was here, but it was so hot we passed and went to Chilis instead. It's for Tomato Basil Soup with Ricotta Dumplings. We had a ridiculously cool day in the low 70s (in the midst of a bunch of days in the high 90s - Iowa weather is as weird as Oklahoma), so I decided to give it a try tonight.
I, my friends, am the best worst dumpling maker EVER. Hockey pucks would be too kind a description! I have a problem with quick breads in general - I know you're not suppose to over-mix, I know there will be lumps - but I can't seem to resist the urge to make my batter nice and smooth. I think that may have been my problem with the dumplings as well. But whereas my muffins are just a little less fluffy and tender than those of a good muffin baker, these dumplings were rock solid and so dense that they never floated to the top. And no, that isn't because I got impatient waiting - if anything I overcooked them waiting for the little buggers to pop up. I choked down one, and the rest will be waiting for the trash service in the morning.
The broth, at least, was quite good... :)
2 comments:
My mom and both grandmothers were expert dumpling makers. I never was anything but 'okay'. My first attempts at biscuits weren't good either but once I got the hang of it, I could hold my own very well. A 'light hand' is best.
Should I be glad we didn't make it while I was there, then?
Post a Comment