background

July 12, 2011

Motivated?

I had plans for the house this summer - lots of fixing up still to go.  Sadly, I haven't felt all that motivated to do anything.  But this past week I've finally had a small desire to get my curtains up in the living room - which necessitated finding the drill in the basement.  And since I had it upstairs and charged and all, I figured I'd better take care of other stuff that required the drill.

So there has been a modicum of progress!

I finally sucked it up and removed the hideous vinyl accordion doors on the closets.  I think I might do curtains instead of doors in the two bedrooms, but I don't think that will work in the hallway and entryway.  Plus, I have the ongoing issue of what to do with the cat's litter box, which currently resides in the entryway closet.  Come to think of it, a curtain might work really well for that - the cats could get in and out easily, but it would be hidden from view.  But don't you think that would look odd right as you enter someone's house? (I know, as if a litter box isn't already odd....)

Pretty new curtain rods, with curtains hung properly.  (I had them sort of draped over the old drapery rods before.)  I still haven't figured out what to do about blinds in one window and not in the others.  I checked with the company that did them, and it would be almost $400 to complete the room with matching blinds.  So I hate to remove the very nice custom wood blinds and redo the room in something cheaper, but I also hate to finish the room in very expensive blinds that aren't exactly what I would choose personally - even though I'm not exactly positive what I do want.  So until I have more money or make a decision, it will remain partially wood blinds and partially semi-sheer curtains.  Which is still an improvement on the old grandma drapes...now I just need to patch some holes and find close enough paint to cover up where they previously painted around the old hardware.

And last but not least, I actually put up the shelf for the TV in my bedroom.  Now my baskets are accessible for storage, instead of just holding up the shelf that holds the TV.  And the dresser looks like I planned it this way, rather than just piled a bunch of stuff on top.  I used toggle anchors for the first time - those things need a big hold, so I was glad it worked and I did it right.  I was trying to imagine patching all these holes in the wall if I screwed up!
I also put up the curtain rods for my bedroom, but the photo didn't turn out because it was kind of dark.  They look nice enough, and I'm pleased to have finally taken down all the old hardware.  (He had draperies with a valance over them.)  So it was a good weekend or so of work, and now once my car gets fixed I can make a run to the dump with all this old stuff and have it out of my hair!

We also made 72 pounds of hamburger into taco meat for youth conference yesterday - but the trauma is too recent to relive right now!  And tomorrow I need to get back to some work for my actual job.

No comments: