background

February 6, 2012

Weekend (half) Warrior

I had a to-do list a mile long for this past weekend.  Cleaning.  Church stuff for callings.  Grading.

But I woke up Saturday morning with the insane desire to rip carpet out of my bedroom.

And one (particularly I) would be foolish to waste project motivation!
The old, ugly (in color - it was actually good quality carpet, which makes it all the more astounding that someone would then choose poop brown) carpet, pre-demolition

The goal

This is how far I got on the project before I thought - this is a heck of a lot of work!  (I did "know" that from tearing out the dining room carpet last year - but I'd conveniently forgotten.)  In my defense, I was taking up the tack strip as I went (cat safety issue), and there were quite a few tack strip and stapled carpet pad issues right around the doorway.

They do need refinished - but this is the worst spot in the entire room, and mostly hidden by the cat tree.  I can live with this (especially compared to the old carpet!) until I get the carpet up in other rooms and am ready to refinish.

The end project!  Only I did run out of time Saturday evening, and ended up leaving the tack strip behind the dresser and under the bed for another day.  Plus, there is a row of double staples under the bed where two pieces of carpet pad met.  Apparently whoever installed the carpet REALLY wanted to make sure those edges didn't come up.  But I will get to them soon, and meanwhile I get to enjoy all the parts I can see.  :)
My room looks more "old-fashioned" than ever - but I think I managed to pass out-of-date and hit intentional classic charm?  Homage to the past?  Whatever it is, I'm thrilled with the results!

No comments: