Why can I not force myself to be productive? If I knew that, I'd be a totally different person. I just need either (a) an external deadline with consequences that I did not set (I just think those ones away), or (b) an inspiration to do something because I really feel like it. But lately I just haven't felt any inspiration - not to work on classes, not get in better shape, not even to take on some ridiculous home improvement project.
Until last night, when I realized...
I feel like canning.
Now, I haven't canned anything since I lived at home, and my mother forced me to help. But it's something I've been meaning to do for a couple of years - not Mom style, but a few jars of stuff I really like. Today (after much online research yesterday to find the best deal and make my plan) I picked up the canning supplies I will need. Early tomorrow comes the produce shopping, at least for what is in season right now. And then the fun commences. On my list:
- Raspberry Jam - my absolute favorite, and the primary motivation in deciding I really should can a little on my own. My mom doesn't supply it for me anymore!
- Blackberry Jam - a close second, and sometimes you need a little variety. I think I actually like blackberry best on toast, but nothing beats raspberry in PB&J.
- Pears - I found a recipe for vanilla cinnamon pears that sounds heavenly. Pears are awesome, especially with cottage cheese.
- Applesauce - because there really is nothing close to homemade applesauce. Ask my sister Beth's friend-from-high-school, Rachel! She'll tell you.
- Dilly Beans - my grandma used to make these, and they are awesome. I was originally going to do pickles, but I figured these would be more fun and a nicer change. I don't mind store-bought pickles as much as applesauce and jam.
- Pickled carrots and cauliflower - since I'll have everything for pickling, I thought I'd try a couple of jars. I like spicy pickled carrots, and ran across spicy pickled cauliflower while looking for a recipe.
The jams can wait a couple of weeks as we are just hitting berry season, and the applesauce can wait as well. I found a great deal on pears, so those are up first. After that, I'll just look for deals and can as the opportunity arises. Maybe next year I'll even get motivated to do at least a little container gardening!
(Or, I'll end up with 6 pints of pears, remember I hate
Anyone have any other canning adventures I should add to my list?
2 comments:
Oh, those peaches. I have the exact same memories, but mine also involve boiling water and pain and burns on my fingertips which were peeling for weeks. But raspberry jam sounds heavenly and I should probably warn you that I'll eat a whole jar when I'm there visiting you. (Raspberry jam on ice cream...) My mom used to make the best homemade salsa and can that.
You can eat your jar - I'll make extra! I thought about doing salsa, but my favorite is pico de gallo and I'm afraid it wouldn't can well. But I may try some salsa. I don't know how long the domesticity will last, but I really had fun today.
Post a Comment