background

July 24, 2013

The Great Canning Adventure of '13 - Day Whatever

I didn't realize exactly how "in to" canning it was possible to get.  I'm having a blast, I must confess.  I picked up another dozen half-pint and a dozen pint jars today - believe it or not, the first supply of a dozen half-pint and 2 dozen pint jars was running low, and that's before even thinking about applesauce!  Plus, I really do want to try pickling some cauliflower - and I am on the verge of adding peaches to the list.  (Seriously, who could have seen that coming?)  The joy of rows of jars of "Bounteous Harvest" (which someone else harvested) all lined up and waiting to be enjoyed over the winter is intoxicating!

Of course, part of this is that I get to do it on my own time, when I'm in the mood.  And part is that I now get to do it in an air conditioned house.  And part is that I'm canning for one (and a few give-aways) versus helping to can for seven, so the quantities and time involved are relatively low.  And a big part of it is that I'm not a teenager anymore - perspective does change with adult responsibilities.  And part of it is an even more recent change in perspective regarding money, health, the environment, and so on.  I don't know how many parts that makes, but it all adds up to this desire to keep going.

So far, my very modest efforts have produced:
  • 12 pints of pears - 4 with vanilla and cinnamon, 3 with cinnamon, and 4 just plain
  • 3 pints of pickled carrots
  • 6 pints of dilly beans, 4 spicy and 2 not
  • 6 half-pints of raspberry jam (1 of which already found its way to Sister Grace Ann)
  • 3 half-pints of blackberry jam
And everything has sealed!  Maybe it's that little "ping" that is the addictive part?  It makes me smile every time.

This morning I picked up the stuff to do:
  • 3 more plain raspberry - I'm not sure how much I will go through in a whole year, but if the past few days are any indication then 5 1/2 pints isn't going to cut it
  • 3 half-pints of raspberry jalapeno - I have some store bought that cost a fortune, but it is SO good on pork roast and chicken!
  • 3-6 half-pints of blueberry lemon basil preserves - because it sounds good, and because I want to play with some less usual recipes.  I'm imagining this on belgian waffles and drooling.  I have enough blueberries for 6 jars, but I may do the second set just plain blueberry if the lemon-basil aspect isn't quite as good as I'm imagining.
And that still leaves for down the road:
  • 6 pints of applesauce
  • 3 pints of pickled cauliflower
  • 6 pints of salsa
And I'll have a few open jars for any inspirations that come up.  I think pickling may be my favorite.  It's kind of mad-scientist-ish, standing there with your row of spices and your vinegar options, trying to decide what each jar will be.  I was reading about pickling radishes, and thought that might be fun.  My biggest problem right now is trying to not get carried away, remembering that I will be the one eating almost all of this!  I think next year will be much easier, since I'll know how quickly I went through things, or alternatively how much I still have.  And I'm definitely thinking that I will grow a few things myself next year.


No comments: