when every kid in the universe seems to be involved in at least one fundraiser! And what happened to the good old days when fundraiser stuff was a couple of bucks? Where did all the $1 candy bars with the pizza coupons inside go? My tally for the weekend stands at $42, and that includes turning away one poor little boy who happened to be selling the same thing I'd just bought a couple of hours earlier. And what do I have to show for it? Now, nothing - but assuming things get delivered and all, I will be getting a very expensive tub of cookie dough (which is what the little boy I said no to was selling - how many $15 tubs of gourmet cookie dough does one person need, considering a bag of chocolate chips is a couple of dollars?), a cute (but expensive!) roll of Christmas wrapping paper, and a Sonic card good for BOGO burgers or $.99 drinks over the next year (15 max). I've always tried to buy one thing from every kid that actually comes around on their own (I have no issue skipping the parents who send mass emails out) - partly they're so darn cute I just can't say no, but also because lately the money is going for stuff like new books that just aren't in the budget. But if everything this year is going to be in the $10+ range I'm going to have to quit pretty soon!
(I have to admit, though, the Sonic card will probably pay for itself - that's the only drive-thru type place in the little town I drive through going to/from school, and I stop for a soda pretty often!)
1 comment:
One really good thing about living in an apartment complex is that they don't allow any solicitations. Quite a few years ago I found that I was supporting most of the organizations that use kiddy salespersons. Buying things that I didn't need, couldn't use, and sometimes didn't even get after paying for it. A good part of the 'sales force' happened to be my own grandkids. I finally had to draw a line in the sand and turned away every cute little person after that. A sign saying no soliciting allowed, along with a picture of an angry dog seemed to work quite well except with the grandkids who wrote letters to 'a loving gramma'. Now all the stateside grandkids are past the age of such things and with an ocean an many time zones between here and the younger ones, the problem has just faded away. I don't know what you can do now that the neighborhood has you pegged as a 'prime patsy'! gram
Post a Comment