background

September 24, 2008

For Beth

This was the tartar sauce recipe I started with:

1 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet or dill pickle
1 Tbl finely chopped onion
1 tsp snipped fresh parsley
1 Tbl diced pimiento
1 tsp lemon juice

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Store up to 2 weeks.


This was what I actually did:

I didn't have any dill pickles, so I used relish - but I was almost out of dill relish, so I ended up using about half/half dill and sweet relish. I didn't have an onion, so I used a tsp of dehydrated onion, didn't drain the relish, and added a couple tsps of water with the lemon juice. I don't keep fresh herbs, so I used dried parsley. And I don't use pimientos, so I just skipped that. I don't plan 2 hours ahead most days, so it was more like 30 minutes before I used it, and it was already good. It was much better the second day, though. It seemed a little too thin when I first mixed it up, with the extra water, but thickened up really nicely as the onions rehydrated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say you already qualify for a phd in life. You think on your feet make do with what you have, and create a winner. Way to go! gram

Beth said...

thanks, we're going to try it this weekend!