background

February 18, 2011

To anyone who still thinks of me as a french toast defeated whimpy kid...

I just moved a queen-sized mattress all by myself - not just a tiny bit, but all the way from the master bedroom to the guest room.  Why? you may ask.

Because I caved and bought a new one.  A new one for myself!  When I moved I almost bought a replacement for the guest bed because that mattress is so darn hard.  But then I thought about how rarely I have company sleep here (not that I don't love it when they do!), and decided I'd rather have a new couch instead.

Yes, I was suppose to stop spending money.  But this is really my parents' fault.  When I was home for Christmas they gave me such a comfy bed that I came home feeling supremely dissatisfied with my own.  AND, this effectively upgrades the guest room quite a bit.  Yes, I feel a bit guilty saying in one breath that I had to replace the mattress with something better for me, but the old one is perfectly good for guests.  However, I had been putting my guests on my $150 law school mattress, and the new hand-me-down is not only more comfortable but also bigger!

(This also means I have several sets of full-sized sheets - some even in decent condition - if anyone wants them.)

Old old mattress off - definitely the easy part of the whole deal.  The mattress place will haul the old old one away for free, but they wouldn't move the new old to the guest room and remove the old old one without charging extra.  I suppose that's fair, but it sure would have been nice if they'd volunteered.

My faithful assistant - not in the way there at all, Bodie.

Her Royal Highness, supervising the labor.  Kind of her to hold the old old mattress down so thoroughly.

Aubrey "helpfully" sat on top of the box springs forever - I was afraid she'd get hurt if I tried to put them down while counting on her to jump out of the way, so she had a leisurely nap on top of the world.

Big, comfy (really! comparatively speaking...) in place, finally.  There's plenty of space for it in the guest room, which is only 6 square inches smaller than the master and doesn't have as much other stuff.  In fact, I think the room looks better with the bed taking up a bit more space - it looks more lived in.

All ready for the new one to come tomorrow morning - and look at all the good stuff I found hiding under there!  I wondered where that logic puzzles book had gone....
Now with that done, I need to go wash some dishes in my bathtub.  This kitchen thing is definitely beyond old.  I still have almost a week before the counter guy can even come measure for the template, and I'm not sure how long it will take him to make it after that.  You'd think it'd be pretty quick, wouldn't you?  I'm hoping to have a sink and counter by the end of the month.  I'm going to move the stove back to its little hole tonight - I'll need to pull it out again when they install the counters, but right now I think that beats having a stove in the middle of my living room for another week plus.  Then the rest of the house (except the dish pan and strainer in the bathtub) can go back to normal!  I need to pick out a faucet for the kitchen before the counters can get templated, and then it's just paint and and flooring left to pick out.  I have a hard time deciding - just ask Heidi!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I got a new mattress? Okay, I'm definitely coming to visit you now.