background

March 2, 2011

Counters are in! :D








You'll notice that there is still an awful lot of tile to remove.  I do not like this job.  I was quite glad to have the counter guys "order" me not to remove any of it for a week, to give the silicone sealant a chance to completely cure.  OK, technically they said absolutely not for 24 hours, better a week - but why would I risk not waiting the week and having my beautiful counter not look so beautiful because old tile crumbs are stuck in the corners?  Of course, I'll be back in school next week, so that tile may still be up come summer.  Oh, well - what's the rush?

The sink should hopefully be totally hooked up today.  My guy had trouble with the faucet I picked out.  It wouldn't pivot when it was fully tightened to the counter, and he wouldn't quit till it was installed "right."  And I didn't want to pick out a new one after I'd finally made up my mind, so he kept trying to get it right.  Finally he figured out the problem - the parts weren't labeled, and two washers that looked the same size were just not quite the same size when carefully compared.  Switching the order they went on fixed everything.  Which made me happy.  But all the time spent on that means he might not quite have time to get everything hooked up to use the sink this evening.  I suppose I can cope for one more day.  :)

The re-order on the cabinets is here, too, so within the next couple of days this phase should be complete.  I picked out floor sample boards, to ultimately pick out floors, yesterday, and should hear from the contractor to come do measurements by tomorrow.  Wallpaper removal, new backsplash, and paint are going to have to wait a while, since those are all me.  I do want to get colors picked out very soon, though, so I can at least get the pantry nook painted and the shelves up.  Then it will be totally functional, if not totally beautiful.

At least it's finally getting to the point where I'm having a sense that it's all been worth the trouble and expense!

No comments: