background

April 19, 2011

Scene: Target Pharmacy

I was waiting in line behind some poor dad struggling with 2 kids.  The younger one was being positively angelic sitting in the cart.  The older one (I'm guessing 4 or 5?) was being a total pill.  When I got there he was pinning himself between the pharmacy wall and the cart - literally pulling the cart against him - and whining that he was being squished.  So I was making a couple of faces at the little girl, who was smiling and giggling, to pass the time.  The boy finally got tired of squishing himself, so instead starts hanging on his dad's arm - you know that trick where they hold their feet off the floor and refuse to bear any of the their weight on their own - and the dad is trying to have a conversation with the pharmacist because apparently one prescription he was suppose to get hadn't been called in.  Finally the dad snaps at him (not horribly, I thought this dad was excessively patient!)

So the little boy looks over at me, and I smile at him.  Then this conversation ensues...

Boy (to me): Stop looking at me!

Dad (to boy): Don't say that!  You apologize right now.

Boy (to dad): But she was looking at me!

Dad (to me): I'm sorry.  My son is a jerk and has no manners.

Boy (to dad): WE DON'T SAY JERK!

Dad (to boy): We also don't say rude things to nice ladies in the store.

Boy (to dad): She's not nice.  She looked at me.

Dad (to boy): She smiled at you.  Nice people smile back.

Boy (to dad): That's stupid.

Dad (to boy): We don't say stupid.

Boy (to dad): WE DON'T SAY JERK, EITHER!

Mom (who has appeared with at least 40 items dripping from her arms, dumps them in the cart and grabs the boy): Lower your voice right now.

Boy (to mom): BUT SHE LOOKED AT ME!

Mom (to boy): You are being very rude.  She didn't hurt you.

Boy (to mom):  How do you know?  Maybe she did!  Or, maybe she was going to.  Maybe she's a stranger.

Mom (to me): I am so sorry.

Boy (to mom):  How come you said sorry to her?  SHE LOOKED AT ME!

Mom (dragging boy away): That's because you're so cute.

Boy (to mom): I know.  I still don't like her.

Dad (to me): Again, I am so, so sorry about my son.

Me: Don't worry about it.  He's very cute.

Dad: No, he's not.  He's really, really not.  He is a jerk, even if we don't say that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah so funny!!!! I love this!

Mom said...

Priceless!

Heidi said...

That's what you get for SMILING at people, you stranger you.

Sibyl Brame said...

I find myself laughing and yet it isn't really funny. Keep smiling though, just try not to look like a stranger.