Today was tough - once again with craving the convenience of a drive-thru while starving. A friend displaced by the flooding needed help moving this morning - so not only was I starving by the end, but I was out of the house, in my car, and driving right past McDonalds. I have to admit, I almost broke.
But I didn't! I drove home and made a chicken salad sandwich and salad, and now I feel exceptionally satisfied with myself and my just consumed meal. Plus, while McDonalds frequently sounds good in theory, it never tastes as good. (Well, the first bite is usually pretty good, but by the end it's just gross and unhealthy feeling - and my sandwich was delicious to the end and I don't feel all gross and greasy!)
I also had a bit of a temptation last night - one of my favorite online places to shop "evited" me to a big sale. And I thought, I can't buy - but I can window shop, right? Fortunately, the link was slow to load, and before the site could pop up I remembered that I am not a good window shopper. I always lose the window part somewhere along the way. So I closed the tab before I could be seriously tempted by all the great deals - because no matter how wonderful the sale, I couldn't think of a single thing I needed to get. Somehow, window shopping always results in remembering a "need."
So, hopefully on top of not spending the immediate money, I'm finding I can break some old, bad habits during this month. It's not like I'm a shopoholic - but it can only be a plus to spend less on stuff I didn't even know I "needed" till I saw it for sale, right? And it's certainly a plus to recognize that the few seconds of delayed gratification in skipping the drive-thru (a) doesn't kill me, and (b) ends up in a more enjoyable meal.
3 comments:
Okay, you're officially inspiring me. I think I'll join you on your challenge.
Good for you!!
I'm with Heidi!
Post a Comment