So here are the two under consideration - any thoughts? The white one is about half the price of the wood-look one - less detail, steel vs. fiberglass, and with the painting still to be done. But I like the wood-look one much better and won't have to worry about finishing the door. And after the cost of install, the cost comparison is much closer. Part of me feels like it's silly to stress over saving a couple hundred dollars when this will be my door for a really long time - and it kind of feels like the door itself should cost more than the installation. The other part of me feels like it's a couple hundred dollars, and I like to save money. :)
background
October 30, 2012
I think...I'm getting a new front door...
My current door is old, and excessively ugly. It's wood - so it swells and sticks when the weather is damp. The glass inset is single pane and lets in cold, and also sometimes develops a sheet of ice on the inside with condensation. It's also really tiny (the window part, not the door itself) - it lets in some light, but it's awkward looking. People can look in if they want, but I have to stick my head right in the window if I want to see who is there unless they stand directly in front of the window and are adult male heighth. The bottom of the door has places that are splitting and chipping off. The door doesn't have a deadbolt. It doesn't seal tightly. (Yes, I know I can fix that without buying a whole door - but it is another reason I'm a bit dissatisfied.) I've been pondering this for some time. It's an expense, but it will look better both inside and outside, and it will be more functional.
So here are the two under consideration - any thoughts? The white one is about half the price of the wood-look one - less detail, steel vs. fiberglass, and with the painting still to be done. But I like the wood-look one much better and won't have to worry about finishing the door. And after the cost of install, the cost comparison is much closer. Part of me feels like it's silly to stress over saving a couple hundred dollars when this will be my door for a really long time - and it kind of feels like the door itself should cost more than the installation. The other part of me feels like it's a couple hundred dollars, and I like to save money. :)
So here are the two under consideration - any thoughts? The white one is about half the price of the wood-look one - less detail, steel vs. fiberglass, and with the painting still to be done. But I like the wood-look one much better and won't have to worry about finishing the door. And after the cost of install, the cost comparison is much closer. Part of me feels like it's silly to stress over saving a couple hundred dollars when this will be my door for a really long time - and it kind of feels like the door itself should cost more than the installation. The other part of me feels like it's a couple hundred dollars, and I like to save money. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
If I was buying for me, it would definitely be the white. If I was buying for you, it would definitely be the wood.
Post a Comment