background

October 12, 2012

Tales from Sam's Club

I decided to stop at Sam's after work today.  I should have turned around as soon as I saw how full the parking lot was!
  • I reached the end of an aisle, and it was completely blocked by this family that had two carts - one full of food and one full of children - parked one behind the other right across the aisle opening.  You know how long those aisles are, and I had 40 pounds of salt and 80 pounds of cat litter in my cart so I wasn't in the mood to turn my wonky cart around.  Plus, the parents were standing right there arguing about whether they needed some small kitchen appliance that was on sale.  So I pulled up and waited a second, figuring they'd see me there and move a cart or two.  And after a few seconds I said "excuse me" - and the woman glanced at me, then turned back to the argument without moving a cart.  So I said "excuse me, could you move your cart so I can get through" - and now they both look at me, then go back to arguing without doing a thing about the carts.  By now another lady is there in the same predicament I am, so we look at each other, and as I am saying "excuse me" again (yes, for the third time - I am such a wimp - but I was definitely more assertive in tone!), the other lady says "Hey!  Move your #$(&*@ carts or I'll do it for you!"  Let's just pretend it was my kind and gentle approach that worked, hmm?
  • They had a guest company in this weekend - one of those deals where it's not something Sam's will carry regularly, but you can sample and buy while the demonstrator is there.  This was fudge, and OH MY it was the richest, creamiest, chocolatiest thing I have ever had in my life.  I resisted, but even now I'm wondering why.  (Well, it's because it was $15 for 3 little packages - and I don't need to eat all that fudge.)  Anyway, you should have seen the mass of children around the poor girl!  She had on this funny little candy shop costume and sort of doll-like makeup, and was trying to be all nice and cheerful - so she has this pinned on smile on her face, and she just keeps saying over and over "where are your parents?" while all these kids are clamoring for samples.  She needed the #%$()&* carts lady!  And no parents were in sight.  Who let's their kids bug the sample lady while they go on with their shopping?
  • The other sample lady was doing a chicken, broccoli, rice, and cheese casserole thing.  This one little boy (who was actually with his mother, not molesting the candy lady) said he wanted a sample, and the mom told him he wouldn't like it.  Well the sample lady pretty much ignores her, hands the little cup to the kid, and says "of course you can try it!"  The kid took a bite of it, spits it back in the cup in total disgust, and says to the sample lady "Yuck - you didn't tell me it was real food!"
  • They had a deal today where if you applied for a Sam's credit card you got an instant $20 credit.  We all know I'm cheap; no way I could pass that up!  So I took my application up to customer service, where they have one lady waiting on people, and a whole line of irritated customers.  I waited probably 15 minutes for my turn, and she was clearly in a quite grumpy mood when I got up there.  She had trouble getting my stuff entered in correctly, I suspect because she was more busy being irritated than paying attention - and meanwhile, another associate brings a guy up who has been trying to get a double charge corrected in the tire center.  There is no code on his receipt for her to do a credit, so she calls the tire center - "Brandon" who apparently had the bad luck to answer her call, couldn't give her the code for tire install, and boy did she tell him off.  Then slammed the phone down so hard it rebounded out of the cradle.  I really don't like it when you are stuck being served by someone who is obviously angry!  She had to ring my stuff up there so I could get the credit, which she wasn't happy about, so she handed me their little scanner gun thing and had me ring my own cart up while she helped tire man.  Tire man getting to jump to the head of the line was just too much for some lady in line (who in fairness had probably been standing there for 20 minutes at least), so she snagged a manager to complain.  And the "customer service" desk lady looks over, sees her talking to the manager, and yells "Yes, complain!  All of you, please complain!  Maybe then I'll get some help around here!"  I have never been so glad to get out of Sam's Club in my life.
  • Side note - I got my Halloween candy today while I was there.  It's a Twix, Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way, Milky Way Dark mix.  You know those Milky Way Darks are NOT going in the candy bowl!  I almost got two bags of Halloween candy so I could have more - even though I only had a half dozen trick or treaters last year.  It's a good thing Sam's doesn't carry them by the case....
But now I'm home, in my cozy, happy house, with furry babies who were excited to see me - and there's basketball on tonight!  I think I'll break out some Milky Way Darks and pretend the afternoon never happened.  :)

No comments: