background

June 4, 2008

Movie Survey

So apparently I got tagged for this by my friend, Heidi, forever ago, but was totally oblivious. To be fair, she did mention it when she was here visiting for Memorial Day weekend, but I forgot until I was reading her blog today. So here goes:

1. The total number of movies I own: 95 movies, not counting church videos, my KU national championship video, Schoolhouse Rock, a PBS special on the evacuation of Jewish children from Germany during the Holocaust, 3 very lightly used exercise videos, or the SNL Christmas special (since technically none of those are movies). I also have 10 seasons of variously odd TV shows. (Lois & Clark, V, Moonlighting, Buck Rogers, and Wonder Woman - wonder what that says about me?)

2. The last movie I bought: I ordered Enchanted and Savannah Smiles at that same time, so I guess that's a tie.

3. The last movie I saw: In the theater, the new Indiana Jones movie, which I enjoyed. Overall, Enchanted.

4. Five movies that mean something to me:
  • Savannah Smiles - regardless of the fact that I could probably recite this movie in my sleep, it still never fails to make me cry at the end. In fact, I get a little teary-eyed just thinking about it. "Bootsie, can I have a rubber duckie for my bath?"
  • American Dreamer - sort of in the vein of Savannah Smiles, except this one never fails to make me laugh out loud. "Dmitri, you know I always get my man, even when he's a woman!"
  • the original Star Wars trilogy - something of a family tradition, you could say. If you consider it cheating to list the whole trilogy as one, then (a) don't be stupid, but (b) if it makes you feel better to narrow it down, Empire is my fav. "I love you." "I know."
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail - hands down, the best quoting movie of all time. And I have such great memories of this from BYU, from watching clips in my American Heritage class, to watching it and quoting along the whole time with roommates, occasionally re-enacting scenes just for the heck of it. "She's a witch, she's a witch!" "How do you know she's a witch?" "She turned me into a newt!" "A newt?" "I got better...." Or "That's not my arm; it's merely a flesh wound." Or "An African swallow, or a European swallow?" See, best quoting movie ever!
  • A Christmas Carol - I couldn't explain why, but I have something of a fixation on this movie. I can't even pick out a favorite version - my collection currently consists of the great Alistair Sims version, the more recent Patrick Stewart version, the musical Scrooge, and adaptations by the muppets, Mickey Mouse, and Mr. Magoo. I'd really like to add the Flinstones version if they ever put it out on DVD. Has there ever been a better tale of redemption? "Business? Mankind was my business! The common welfare was my business!"

5. Tag ... This is always the part where I drop out, although I must say this is one my whole family should do. Especially my parents - I can just see them trying to count all of their movies!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I almost listed Savannah Smiles too! "If my white knight don't get here soon it's gonna be too late..."

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

The Flintstones Christmas Carol is available on Amazon!

Anonymous said...

I love your list of movies, but how does anyone pick. I rarely met a movie I didn't like. And, of course, it needs to be quotable.