background

August 9, 2010

I really hate clothes shopping

But nevertheless, that's what I spent my afternoon doing.  It sort of reminded me of the back-to-school shopping blitz I used to do with my mom, except I'm a little more generous with the clothing allowance.  :)

But back to why I was spending more money....  After 6 years of dressing as a college student, my "wardrobe" falls far short of even business casual.  So back at the beginning of the summer I budgeted $300 toward upgrading with some more professional stuff.  I've been putting it off all summer.  I really do hate clothes shopping - I don't fit clothes very well so it's kind of depressing.  But today I was just-a-little-bit in the mood (or, I really needed a break from working on power points for the coming term, and this felt like work so it wasn't totally like slacking.)  So off I went with my budget in mind, and strict instructions to myself that it could not be spent on anything resembling jeans, t-shirts, or sneakers.

And amazingly, it was a huge success!  This was probably the most successful mass shopping trip since I was a freshman and my mom let me blow a third of my budget on a Mr. Rags sweatshirt.  (Now there's a blast from the past.)  I discovered that the secret to finding pants that fit is to acknowledge that I'm short - not excessively, but I am short enough that petite lengths fit better.  I think a big part of it is that I'm short-waisted.  And I forced myself to try on some stuff that normally I'd write off as "too fancy", and found some tops that look nice on - they may not be exactly my style, but they make me look like a grown up professional without feeling totally outside my style.

The funny part of the afternoon was at Dress Barn.  The lady who helped me was a little older and was limping like crazy, but she kept telling me to ask her for anything I need (one of those where you just want to yell at them to leave you alone to look because they're hovering so bad.)  But when I asked for something she'd give this huge sigh as if she couldn't believe I was making her work.  All I asked for was to get two things hung up high gotten down, and agreed twice that she could take my stuff to the dressing room.  That really tickled me - she asks if she can start a dressing room, I say yes, and she gives this huge sigh as if she can't believe I accepted.  Then, she kept offering her opinion on things I was looking at, only she phrased it every time as if she knew me and my taste - "Oh, that is just your style!  That will compliment your wardrobe so well!"  (Keep in mind, I was wearing olive colored cargo capris and a white Old Navy t-shirt.)  I was looking at one top, and she emphatically announces "That is so you!"  It really wasn't - it had a bunch of beads around the neckline, and this row of mirrored spangly things right along the edge.  But when I told her it wasn't, she said "No, it really is," and added it to the pile of stuff she was taking to the dressing room even after I told her I didn't really like it!  I tried it on to make her happy, and it jingled when I moved.  :)

I like a lot of Dress Barn stuff, and I had probably 20 things in the room by the time I tried stuff on.  And then as I'm loading up the stuff I decided to buy she comes over and sees the stuff I'm not buying - and she's like "You aren't taking any of this?"  Keep in mind, I did buy 9 things there, so while there was a lot to put back she was also going to make a pretty decent commission!  I don't know why I found her so entertaining, but I was really struggling not to break out laughing several times.

Dress Barn was so successful, I didn't go anywhere else.  (Wish I'd just gone there first!  I didn't buy anything anywhere else anyway, unless you count Pier 1, where I wasn't suppose to be spending any more money.  Only there was a side table on clearance, and I've been looking for one for my office....)  And, by opening a charge account for this purchase, I saved 10% on everything and got a 20% off one item coupon for "next time" - final total, $243 + tax.  I thought that was really great.  Just to bore you further, here's the new wardrobe lineup:



I also got a black skirt, a pair of black pants, and a pair of gray pants that have a subtle black and blue plaid to them, but none of those showed up well in photos.  I know the plaid shirt isn't exactly dressy, but it was on clearance and will be good for more casual days.  The floral skirt was on clearance, too.  And for once, all of it looks better on than on the hanger!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I wish I could have been there. I would have added my two cents worth and you could have complained about 2 crazy old women who think they know how to shop. You did good!!