background

August 25, 2010

Today....

Today I attended my very first Mass, as part of the university's back-to-school activities and orientations.  It was interesting - I was rather lost for most of it, of course, but I thoroughly enjoyed the music.  Attendance isn't required for anyone, much less non-Catholic faculty, but I thought it was something I should experience at least once if I'm going to be teaching at a Catholic university.  The theme was service, in fitting with the day's broader theme, and it was generally speaking an enjoyable experience.  I did find it rather awkward, though, to be attending something out of curiosity when it was a spiritual matter for most there - not that I was disrespectful, but obviously it didn't mean nearly as much to me as to others.  There is another tomorrow, but tomorrow's is first thing in the morning so I likely won't attend - today's was between a mandatory meeting and lunch.

The rest of the day was interesting, too.  The university works on one of several Franciscan principles each year, and this year's is Joyful Service.  While the afternoon was much like any business meeting (brainstorming how to implement this in small groups), the morning was dedicated to a presentation by a nun about the role of service in the life and teachings of St. Francis.  It was very, very churchy - which I am still finding interesting to have in a work environment and as an outsider to the faith.  But I learned a great deal about St. Francis, which I suspect will be helpful at some point in the future.  He is rather interesting - I had no idea he was something of a rebel in his day.

Tomorrow is another meeting, something like today, only just for faculty and I don't have any idea what the program is.  I just know I'm required to be there at 9:30 and stay through lunch.  I'm enjoying it, though - this is one of those things that faculty grumble about, but since it's my first year it feels more like a major milestone than just another meeting.  And then classes start a week from today.  I can hardly wait, I'm so excited to get under way.  Of course, I still have a ton of prep work to do, but I'm just so looking forward to being back in the classroom, and with lovely small classes that will allow more discussion and interaction. 

(Please don't remind me about this next time I complain....)

1 comment:

Mom said...

You are getting so well-rounded while thinning down. Beth is all about how good you are. I sure appreciate the blogging, it is so depressing to check the whole family and not find anything new.