background

August 16, 2010

So my new place of employment is quite interesting...

I'm fascinated at observing a religious university from the position of an outsider.  There are so many things I don't understand, it gives me more sympathy for converts to the church and how lost they must feel.  But mostly I'm rather enjoying being in an atmosphere where religion is actively appreciated, even if my own religion is seen as something of a curiosity.

Every morning I open up my college email account to find a huge list of prayer requests.  It's sort of like the temple prayer list, only each individual request comes out as its own email, complete with details of what the prayers are requested for.  (Not that you couldn't be vague if you wanted, but so far I haven't seen any.)  It creates a nice sense of community, even if I don't know who most people are yet.  The prayer requests for a death have always seemed a little odd to me, but I couldn't figure out why.  Today it finally occurred to me that they are always phrased as a request to pray for the person who has died.  The family and friends typically get tacked on at the end, which just seems a little backwards to me.  But getting back on track, I think it's a nice reflection of the room the administration makes for religion.

I keep meaning to post photos of my new office, but I never remember my camera.

No comments: