background

November 7, 2010

Primary :/

After seeing how last week went, the Primary Presidency decided to rearrange the seating.  I'm sure it was a wise decision overall - but holy cow is my class going to be difficult!  They are now seated in a row right along the front - in chairs that move - so they move them - and they have to be close enough to the front (for people to pass behind) that they can easily touch it.  And by "touch" I mean either hang over the rail or prop their adorable little feet up on it.  They are too interested in what's going on behind them to face forward when we sing.  I'm sure the audience will find it adorable.
\
We got one shot at practicing speaking into the microphone - and I have a whole group of microphone swallowers who like to speak loudly.  If you can call it speaking.  The older kids made it worse by cheering them on, so the being to loud thing quickly turned into a sort of contest.  But...I did have 2 of the 6 kids in the whole primary who had their parts memorized!  Only you had to know their parts to understand what they were saying.

We share the building, so last week only practiced for 45 minutes.  This week they arranged to borrow the RS room so we could practice the whole time.  In a way this was most excellent, because otherwise I was going to have the 5 year olds as well - 15 kids in total.  While I was still in the chapel extracting children from underneath movable chairs, the rest of the class scattered to the winds for a potty/drink break.  Since my kids don't really listen to announcements, half of them went to our usual bathroom by our classroom, which is at the wrong end of the building.  After I rounded those ones up and convinced them we really weren't suppose to be in our classroom, we headed to the RS room end.  And I rounded the corner to find one of the little boys with his shirt tucked up under his chin and little belly exposed to all as he struggled to button his pants.  Not that this is abnormal, but we also usually aren't in a hallway full of the entire primary and RS sisters exiting the room (since they'd forgotten the room swap and were already started).  He was quite indignant that the older kids would snicker at his bare belly button.

Then my last straggler throws the door to the women's room wide open and loudly announces "teacher, I can't get my skirt on."  And I turn to look, and there she is with skirt in hand, standing in the middle of the doorway in her t-shirt and tights.  I'm trying to crawl over kids to get to her, telling her to go back inside and I'll help her, while she is instead attempting to put her skirt back on right there - and ends up falling on her little fanny, and has now let go of the door which promptly hits her in the head.  And of course this amuses the rest of the primary, and now we have tears.  (I'm sure a few were from the fall, but I'm guessing most were more humiliation tears.)

So which comes first, drying the tears or covering the bum?  And shouldn't turning 5-year-olds be past this stuff?

No comments: